The Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network’s (BCAN) signature event is an annual walk every May, which is Bladder Cancer Awareness Month. The walk is held in over 25 cities across the US, with the goal of raising funds for education, awareness, and research.
We’re proud to be the local presenting sponsor for the Boston walk.
BCAN Presents the Greater Boston Urology Walk to End Bladder Cancer
Saturday, May 18, 2019
Check-in opens: 8:00 am
Program starts: 9:00 am
Walk begins immediately following
North Point Park
6 Museum Way
Cambridge, MA 02141
Here’s the link to the Team GBU page – we appreciate your support!
Bladder Cancer: The Facts
Bladder cancer doesn’t get as much press as other types of cancers. Yet it’s a serious disease.
- Bladder cancer is the sixth most commonly diagnosed cancer in the United States.
- More than 81,000 new cases of bladder cancer are expected to be diagnosed in 2018.
- Approximately 17,240 people will die from bladder cancer this year alone.
- Despite a high incidence rate, research is underfunded – major advances in treatment were slow to come.
- Bladder cancer is four times more common in men than in women.
- Women are more likely to present with advanced tumors and therefore have a worse prognosis.
- The 5-year survival rate for women is equal to the 10-year survival rate for men.
- There is a higher incidence among veterans and those who work with chemicals known as aromatic amines.
- Bladder cancer has a recurrence rate of 50-80% and, because it requires life-long surveillance, is the most expensive cancer to treat on a per patient basis.